The West Hickory Bridge was the oldest active truss bridge over the Allegheny River. Between 1980 and 2015, 75% of the pre-World War II Allegheny River truss bridges (downstream of New York) have been/will be demolished. Between 2005 and 2015, 4 out of the 5 truss bridges in Forest County have been/will be demolished. Since the West Hickory Bridge was the only one of those bridges listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it was perhaps the most significant. The bridge was demolished in 2007, replaced by a steel beam. The West Hickory Bridge was an example of a four span pin-connected Pratt thru truss built by the Groton Bridge Company. A tee beam approach span was added on the east side in the 1920's or 1930's. The bridge was built for the Hickory Bridge Company which operated it as a toll bridge until the bridge was taken over by the state.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, 1988; oldest active bridge over the entire Allegheny River until its demolition in 2007
Forest County, Pennsylvania