In 1662, the first bridge to span the Charles River, the Great Bridge, was constructed at this location. It was replaced in 1862 and again in 1915 by the current bridge. The 1915 bridge was made possible by the gift of Larz Anderson to be a memorial to his father, Nicholas Longworth Anderson, who was a general in the United States Army and a Civil War veteran. Though the Anderson Memorial Bridge is constructed from reinforced concrete, it was styled to match the buildings of Harvard University. The spandrel walls are finished to resemble rough-hewn stone, and the arch rings and piers are accented by brick. The parapets are paneled. The bridge once had gilded street lights. A plaque on the Cambridge side reads, ''Connecting the College Yard and playing fields of Harvard, be an ever present reminder to students passing over it of loyalty to country and Alma Mater.''
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
Middlesex County - Suffolk County, Massachusetts